Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Being a Caregiver

So I wrote this a little over a week ago thinking I would get ahead of the game and post more often. I re read what I had posted and almost had to chuckle a little. My dad is back in the hospital and it looks like all these wonderful tips I typed out I am going to need for myself again!

Please Read....

For those of you who take care of a family member who needs constant medical and emotional support you are AMAZING! I have learned it takes someone very special to be able to do that long term. You deserve a massage, pampering, a glass of wine, and a good night sleep!

After spending just one week caring for my dad while he was in the hospital I learned a few things that I want to make sure I remember when my parents actually get old!

  1. Make sure you are prepared for when they are going to need care and support. Have a plan, where are they going to be cared for, who is going to provide that care, and how is it going to be paid for. 
  2. Make sure you have a plan to take care of yourself. Set up a personal support system so you get a day off every once in a while. Do something for yourself. You can only take on the world for so long. 
  3. Communicate with family and friends. The more you communicate the more you can stay on top of family members and their concerns. This will help make sure you are keeping loved ones in the loop and calm. They can now support you! CaringBridge is a great website to help you set up a communication system. 
  4. Make sure you have a plan to take care of yourself. Set up a personal support system so you get a day off every once in a while. Do something for yourself. You can only take on the world for so long. 
  5. Eat and Sleep! Exercise is also a good thing to try to squeeze in every once in a while. 
  6. Make sure you have a plan to take care of yourself. Set up a personal support system so you get a day off every once in a while. Do something for yourself. You can only take on the world for so long. (See a pattern)
My dad is doing just fine and fortunately for all of us this was temporary. But I did learn a lot about myself and what to look forward to in the future. 

I thought this was just lovely.... 





No comments:

Post a Comment